This section provides answers to Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) about Student Health Services.
- If parents have sent a question to the Student Health Center or the Insurance Office, how will they get a response?
- If my student does require any medical services while they are there, do you bill Blue Cross directly? Are you considered a provider?
- If we do not purchase campus insurance, where does my student need to go for medical care?
- Why is health insurance required at UCSC?
- How much is it?
- How do I get the health insurance?
- I tried to get answers but no one could help me. Questions like: What is the cost of the visit? What are the costs of labs, procedures, and meds? What is the cost of an MRI?
- Why am I paying the UC SHIP charge?
- I opted out of the Student Insurance last year and I want the insurance this year, what do I do?
Enrollment / Card
- What are the benefits for UC SHIP?
- What is the coverage?
- Do you administer specific therapy or treatments?
- Do you offer chiropractic care?
- Do you offer acupuncture care?
- Can I get immunotherapy/allergen treatments?
- What sort of coverage is there after graduation?
- What sort of benefits are there for dependents?
- Who do I contact with questions about UC SHIP?
- Is there a deductible?
- Where do I go after hours?
- What if I need to go to a hospital?
- What if I need mental health assistance?
- Am I covered during the Summer if I graduated in June?
- If I am enrolled at another UC campus, may I use the UCSC Student Health Center?
- Can I go to another UC?
- I have coverage back home. Why do I need UC SHIP - and why was my waiver denied?
- We waived UC SHIP last year because we have coverage through our family plan. Do we need to submit the waiver again?
- What information is required to waive UC SHIP?
- I waived the insurance but I have not received an email with an approval or a denial. Why not?
- How do I reverse a waiver so that I get UC SHIP?
- I have a complaint about waivers.
- What is the waiver timeline?
- I am on the Education Abroad Program (EAP) and I was charged for UC SHIP.
- I successfully waived UC SHIP but the fee is still on my portal.
- I missed the deadline to waive UC SHIP, but I still want to waive.