UCSC HIPAA Training & Resources
HIPAA Training Modules Notes
Please allow several minutes for the training modules to download before you click on the play button. The module may appear have stopped loading before it is actually ready to play. If you do not see the Power Point slides when you play the module exit the page and start again allowing a longer time for the files to download. Also note that these training modules currently only work with Microsoft Internet Explorer for Windows. If you have problems with this training contact David Lane at firstname.lastname@example.org or 831-459-4476. When you have completed the appropriate training module print out the training certification page, fill it out, sign it and give it to your supervisor. NOTE: YOU MAY NEED TO CHANGE THE PAGE SETUP TO LANDSCAPE FORMAT TO PRINT THE CERTIFICATION SLIDE. UCSC is required to document HIPAA training and the employee's home department has been designated as the office of record for the training certification. The certificate must be maintained as part of the employee's permanent record.
Health Care Provider Training
The California Health and Human Services Agency’s (CHHS), Office of Health Information Integrity (CalOHII) has released its Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA) Security Rule Toolkit.
This module is designed for those employee's who do not directly work with patients or medical files, but act in support of the units that do. Check with your supervisor, the HIPAA Privacy Liaison (459-2127), or the Medical Records Manager (459-3327) if you are unsure which training you need to complete.
Data Steward Training
Security Rule Training
- Office of Civil Rights - HIPAA Educational Materials
- Office of Civil Rights - Material Educativo en Español
- Are you a covered entity ?
- Key HIPAA Dates and Tips
- What electronic transactions and code sets are standardized under HIPAA
- Is your software vendor or billing service ready for HIPAA?
- What to expect from your health plans?
- What you need to know about testing?
- Training Partner
- Final steps for compliance with electronic transactions and code sets
- Transactions and Code Set Standards
- Provider HIPAA Checklist
- HIPAA Security Materials
- The Security Rule
- Security 101 for Covered Entities
- Security Standards Administrative Safeguards
- Security Standards Physical Safeguards
- Security Standards Technical Safeguards
- Security Standards Organizational Policies
- Basics of Risk Analysis and Risk Management