Non-EAP UCSC Coordinated Travel Programs
Please check in at main lobby of the Student Health Center
UCSC Non-Education Abroad Program (EAP) Coordinated Travel Health Clearance Instructions
READ THE FOLLOWING INSTRUCTIONS CAREFULLY
- It is MANDATORY to get health clearance from the UCSC Student Health Center for participation in the UCSC Coordinated Travel.
- You are responsible for completing the process by the stipulated deadline.
- Most students can complete their Travel Health Clearance process on-line at the Student Health Center’s secure messaging site. There is a $20 fee which will be charged to your university account. UCSHIP Insurance does not cover this fee.
- Some students may require a travel consult, immunizations, prescriptions,or additional appointments with their physician, psychiatrist, or specialist. The Student Health Center Allergy, Immunization and Travel Clinic (AIT) offers: Travel Consults, Immunizations and travel prescriptions. There may be fee's for these additional health services depending on your insurance. To set up your appointment please call the appointment line at 831-459-2500.
- **The Affordable Care Act requires all individuals to carry health insurance with minimum coverage requirements. If you have questions contact your Travel Advisor or access the Travel website at https://global.ucsc.edu/index.html and / or see this link http://www.bcbs.com/already-a-member/coverage-home-and-away.html for UC SHIP coverage abroad.
All students are encouraged to research their destination country at:
Follow these 4 Steps: (see below for more details about each step)
- Step 1: Complete and submit the UCSC Coordinated Travel Confidential Health History Form online for Travel Clearances
- Step 2: Wait for a secure message from the UCSC Student Health Center to pick up your Travel Health Clearance.
- Step 3: Pick up and deliver to UCSC Division of Global Engagement (DGE), Classroom Unit 101.
- Step 4: Complete the Travel Health Education course (mandatory for all countries).
Step 1: Complete and submit the online Travel Confidential Health History Form for Travel Health Clearance.
- Submit the online Travel Confidential Health History by stipulated deadlines but no later than 60 days before departure.
- Get your complete immunization records (including month, day and year). You will need this to complete the form. Do not assume that we have your immunization records. You may need to check with your parents, family physician or high school for your immunization records. IF YOU HAVE ANY QUESTIONS REGARDING YOUR IMMUNIZATIONS PLEASE CALL THE TRAVEL NURSE AT: (831)459-2636
- Log into your secure Health e-Messenger account to complete and submit the UCSC Non-EAP Coordinated Travel Programs Confidential Health History form.
- First-time users must read and acknowledge the Student Health Center Notice of Privacy Practices.
- Log in and select Messages (DO NOT SELECT FORMS)
- Select New Messages
- Select UCSC Non-EAP Coordinated Travel Programs Confidential Health History.
- Complete the UCSC Non-EAP Coordinated Travel Programs Health history online form.
- Be open and candid about your health issues. Failure to provided complete and accurate information may be grounds for non-participation in or dismissal from Travel.
- Once completed, print out and make several copies of your Travel Confidential Health History form
- Take several copies abroad with you. This information will be the only health information abroad in case you need medical attention.
After being submitted, your Confidential Health History will be reviewed by a health professional at the UCSC Student Health Center. Within 14 days you should receive a secure message informing you of the next steps for your clearance process.
Step 2: Wait for a secure message from the UCSC Student Health Center to pick up your Travel Health Clearance
- All students participating in Travel, must obtain the Travel Health Clearance form. The form states that at the time of his or her evaluation the student is healthy and has no unstable or unsafe medical or psychiatric issues that would prevent participation in Travel.
- When you have submitted your online DGE Program Confidential Health History form, within 14 days you will get an email alerting you that you have a secure message from us. (Note: due to privacy and HIPAA regulations, email from the Student Health Center cannot be forwarded to your personal email accounts—such as yahoo or hotmail.)
- If have not received a message from the Student Health Center in 14 days, please e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org
The secure message will advise you if further appointments are needed. You may require an in-person appointment with a health care professional at the Student Health Center or with your private physician, psychiatrist and/or specialists before final Travel Health Clearance is given.
- If you are seeing a specialist for any new or on-going medical or psychological conditions each specialist must approve and sign the health clearance form and provide legible contact information or the form will be returned.
- Note: If you cannot obtain your specialist’s approval and signature, you will not be cleared to participate in Travel.
- If your specialist is off-campus you must have approval from each specialist and a Student Health Center medical provider before being cleared for Travel participation.
- After you obtain your specialist's and signature make an appointment at the Student Health Center for final travel clearance/clinician sign-off. Call (831) 459-2500 to set up an appointment.
- Bring the signed original Travel Health Clearance form to the Student Health Center appointment.
- Pick up your signed and completed Travel Health Clearance form at the Medical Records Department in the Student Health Center. Have your student ID in hand.
Deliver the completed, signed Travel Health Clearance form to:
UCSC Department of Global Engagement (DGE), Classroom unit 101
- DGE must receive the form no later than 60 days before your departure.
- Do not mail your copies of the Confidential Health History form.
- Note: The UCSC Student Health Center will not mail your clearance form.
Complete the Travel online Travel Health Education Course
- To help students plan a safe and healthy Travel experience, UCSC DGE requires this travel health education course: http://studyabroad.ucsc.edu/files/ucscprograms/forms/ApplicationForms/OnlineTravelCourse.pdf
- Print a copy of the Certificate of Completion at the end of the course. Attach a copy to your clearance and deliver both to the UCSC DGE, Classroom Unit 101.
- Keep a copy.
- For many countries it is strongly encouraged to have a travel health consult appointment
- A Travel Health Consult appointment may include:
- Suggestions for maintaining your health abroad after review of your medical history.
- Discussion of required and recommended vaccines after a review of your immunization records.
- Discussion of country specific travel health risks and recommendations.
- Providing prescriptions for anti-malarial medication and antibiotic for travelers’ diarrhea.
Make an appointment for a Travel Health Consult
- Make this appointment with the Student Health Center, your private insurance provider or local travel clinic as soon as possible.
- To schedule an appointment at the UCSC Student Health Center call 831-459-2500 and ask for an Travel Travel Health Consult appointment.
- Bring a copy of your most current immunization record.
- Travel immunizations should be started a minimum of 1 month before departure for Travel . Several appointments may be needed to complete all required and recommended immunizations.
- Proof of Yellow Fever immunization is required for certain countries.
- If indicated Yellow Fever immunization must be given a minimum of 10 days before your entry into the country.