Allergy, Immunization and Travel

By appointment

Health Center

Appointments: 831.459.2500
FAX: 831.459.3546


Effective October 2016 Allergy shots are given to students with UCSHIP Insurance only and only during specifically designated Allergy shot clinic times.

If a student's schedule prevents them from being able to access the clinic times, UCSC Student Health Services will provide a referral to an off campus, network provider

UCSC provides services for students that have already seen an allergist and are on a regular series of desensitization injections. Our role is limited solely to assisting your doctor by administering your injections and handling any acute allergic reaction you might have -- we do not start initial treatment. Your allergist is responsible for determining the composition, dose and approprate use of the extracts. Allergens may be mailed to us or brought to the clinic for storage. They must be refrigerated

For more specific information about allergy shots click here.


We provide routine immunizations such as: Tetanus/Diphtheria or TDaP, Hepatitis A & B; Flu; Measles, Mumps, Rubella (MMR), Gardasil (HPV vaccine); influenza and Meningitis. Tuberculosis (TB) tests are also available. Immunizations recommended for international travel are also available.

The cost for each immunization varies and some are administered in a series of shots. It is important to bring a copy of your previous immunizations, so you can receive the appropriate injections and their updates.


Consultations are scheduled for students planning to travel outside the United States, either on their own or as part of a University program (e.g., UCEAP, language program). These appointments inform you of the required and recommended immunizations for your trip -- as well as prevention tips for common illnesses experienced by travelers.

Depending upon your destination, the immunizations you may need vary considerably. For information on specific country requirements and recommendations, see the CDC website,,

Make an appointment as soon as you know you are going abroad. You may need numerous immunizations prior to your departure and some are in a series that may take months to complete. If you do not plan ahead, we may be unable to accommodate your needs.

Costs can be high for some travel injections and need to be factored into your travel budget. Your prior immunization history is important here, so you need to get copies of your childhood immunization record and any more recent immunizations. You may get travel immunizations at your own doctor's office or clinic, and should consider this if your medical insurance will cover you there, but not at the Student Health Center.

For more information about UC Sponsored Travel click here


Fees are charged for allergy shots and immunizations. Check your health insurance policy to see if you can get a reimbursement for these charges.