Congratulations on your upcoming journey! Traveling can be an incredible benefit to your education. To stay healthy while traveling abroad/away, you may need immunizations and medical advice. Being prepared for regional health concerns (malaria, zika, etc) is an important step to keeping you healthy while traveling. You may need travel clearances or a travel consultation.

Travel Health Clearances

Choose your type of travel below to see what you must do before leaving.

UCEAP Travel, UCSC Global Seminars, Global Internships and UCSC Exchange

Know Before You Start

You need to get a health clearance certificate in order to travel through UCEAP, UCSC exchange and UCSC Global seminars. 

  • UCEAP: Use the UCSC Student Health Center or your private physician. Some countries require health clearance certificates to come from the Student Health Center. Check with your travel advisor for specifics about your destination country.
  • UCSC Exchange, UCSC Global Seminars, and Global Internships: Use the UCSC Student Health Center only.

Follow the next steps to get this certificate.

Step One: Complete and Submit the Travel Health History Clearance Form

Be open and candid about your health issues.  If you don’t provide complete and accurate information, you may not be allowed to travel. Complete the form no later than 60 days before departure. 

  • Get your immunization records (How to find your records)
  • Log into your Health e-Messenger account
  • First-time users must read and acknowledge the Student Health Center Notice of Privacy Practices.
  • Select Messages, then New Messages, then:
    • UCEAP: Select Education Abroad Program (Travel Health History Clearance Form). 
    • UCSC Global Seminar, UCSC Exchange, and Global Internships: Select Global Seminar & UCSC Global Exchange Travel Health History Clearance Form. 
  • Complete the online form and click Send.

The Student Health Center staff will review your Confidential Health History within 14 days. You will be notified if we need any other information, such as an additional signature from a specialist or healthcare provider or other tasks required by the country you will visit.

You will be charged a $25 health fee to your university account (not covered by UC SHIP).

Tip: Make several copies of your completed Travel Confidential Health History form to take abroad/away with you. Healthcare providers will need this information if you require medical attention while traveling.

Seeing a private provider? Here is a PDF of the health clearance form if you plan on getting cleared by your own doctor.

Step Two: Get Your Health Clearance Certificate Paperwork

UCSC Health Information Management will send an electronic copy of your clearance certificate through Health e-Messenger, including detailed instructions on next steps. These might include getting a signature from a specialist, scheduling a travel consultation, or other required tasks.

Note regarding specialists: If you are seeing a specialist for any new or ongoing medical or psychological conditions, each specialist must approve and sign the health clearance certificate and provide legible contact information. If you can't obtain your specialist's approval and signature, you will not be cleared to participate in travel.

After getting cleared by your specialist, you will need final clearance from a UCSC clinician OR your private MD. After you obtain your specialist's approval and signature, make an appointment at the Student Health Center for final UCEAP clearance. Call (831) 459-2500 to set up an appointment. Bring all copies of the health clearance certificate to the Student Health Center appointment.

Step Three: Submit your health clearance certificate

Once you receive your completed clearance form, you must do the following no later than 60 days before your departure:

  • UCEAP: Open your UCEAP Portal and view instructions for submitting your Health Clearance Form in the Pre-Departure Requirements section.
  • UCSC Global Seminars, UCSC Exchange, and Global Internships: Once you receive your electronic Health Clearance Certificate from the Student Health Center, please download the document and upload it to the Student Health Clearance Pre-departure module on the Global Learning Portal.

Step Four: Complete Any Other Tasks Your Destination Country Requires

Your secure message in Step Two will advise you of any additional requirements of your host university. Most of these services are covered by UC SHIP. If your secure message doesn’t recommend additional requirements, you can skip to Step Five.

Step Five: Complete the Travel Health Education Course If Required

To help students plan a safe and healthy travel experience, all UC campuses require some UCEAP students to take an Online Travel Course (OTC) at The OTC is required for countries listed on the Health Clearance Instructions for Students document.

Travel Through Other UCs (Davis Quarter Abroad, Davis Summer Abroad, etc.)

Travel through other UCs also requires health clearance certificates and preparations.

Students traveling through other UC sponsored programs (e.g. UC Davis Summer Abroad) can receive their travel clearances at UCSC Student Health Center. To get started, bring the paperwork required by your program to Health Information Management at the Student Health Center in person, or you may call (831) 459-2500. This process can take up to two weeks, so please plan accordingly. It cannot be done online.

Schedule a Travel Consultation

If you're traveling on your own with or without a UC- or UCSC-sponsored group, you can book a travel consultation with the Student Health Center. These appointments inform you of the required and recommended immunizations for your trip, and give prevention tips for common illnesses experienced by travelers.

Make an appointment for a travel consult as soon as you know you are going abroad/away. Call (831) 459-2500 and ask for a travel consultation. You may need numerous immunizations prior to your departure and some are in a series that may take months to complete. If you do not plan ahead, we may be unable to accommodate your needs.

Costs can be high for some travel injections and need to be factored into your travel budget. Your prior immunization history is important here, so you need to get copies of your childhood immunization record and any more recent immunizations.

Typically the Student Health Center gives travel visits to students with UC SHIP. If you don’t have UC SHIP, consider getting travel immunizations at your own doctor's office or clinic if your medical insurance will cover you.

For personnel travel, make an appointment for a travel consult or call if you have any questions.

  • Make an appointment with the Student Health Center, your private insurance provider or local travel clinic as soon as possible. Telehealth is available at the Student Health Center. To set up an appointment at SHC, please call (831)459-2500 and ask for a travel consultation.
  • Bring a copy of your immunizations to this visit.
  • A Travel Health Consult appointment may include:
    • Suggestions for maintaining your health abroad/away after review of your medical history.
    • Discussion of required and recommended vaccines after a review of your immunization records.
    • Discussion of country specific travel health risks and recommendations.
    • Providing prescriptions for anti-malarial medication and antibiotics for travelers' diarrhea.
  • Travel immunizations should be started a minimum of one month before departure. Several appointments may be needed to complete all required and recommended immunizations. Plan ahead!

Additional Information

Health Insurance Requirements: The Affordable Care Act requires everyone to carry health insurance with minimum coverage requirements. 

 Where to Find Destination Country Regulations: