Enrollment Holds

Did you receive an enrollment hold from SHS? Here's a quick overview on what to do.



On This Page

UC-Required Immunizations


What is the immunization requirement for students living or studying on campus?

All incoming students (undergraduates, graduates, transfers, and re-admits) who are living or studying on campus are required to comply with the UC-wide Immunization and Tuberculosis (TB) risk screening requirement. The requirements are also known as "medical clearances."

See a list of the required vaccines and screenings. As of Fall Quarter 2020, an influenza (flu) vaccine is also required.


If you are living or studying on campus and don’t meet the Immunization and Tuberculosis (TB) risk screening requirement, you can’t attend classes. Please make these immunizations a high priority! Without them, a hold will be placed on your registration. 


When should I get the immunizations? 

The deadline for all required vaccines is September 26, 2020, except for the flu vaccine due November 1, 2020. (You must receive the flu vaccine after August 1, 2020 - a vaccine from an earlier date won't meet the requirement.) However, please consider the deadline to be "as soon as possible" so you don’t risk enrollment holds.

Where can I get the immunizations?

You can get the required immunizations at:

  • On campus at the Student Health Center or a special vaccine clinic. To schedule, log into Health e-Messenger with your CruzID and Gold password. Select "Appointments" in the left menu. Follow the prompts and choose "Immunizations" for the type of visit.
  • A private healthcare provider.
  • An off-campus pharmacy. UC SHIP students can go to any pharmacy that takes Optum pharmacy benefits, such as Safeway, Walgreens, and Riteaid. If you're referred to a CVS minute clinic then you need to schedule an appointment to get a referral from the SHC before you seek services at the CVS Minute Clinic.  
Additional info about off-campus pharmacies: Before Receiving the Vaccine: Call ahead to make sure the vaccine is available. Bring your phone with the UC SHIP app or your insurance card. UC SHIP students: if using a pharmacy not listed here, make sure they take Optum PBM for vaccine claims. After Receiving the Vaccine: Log into Health e-Messenger ( with your gold password. From the left menu, select Immunization/TB Upload Upload your immunization record. UC SHIP covers all 100%, excluding travel-related vaccines.
Get a PDF of this graphic "Get Vaccines at these Off-Campus Pharmacies"

How do I get started? 

We recommend starting right away. Here’s what to do.

  1. Gather your vaccination records and compare them to the UC Immunization requirements (also translated into Mandarin by UC Santa Barbara). Click here for an immunization/screening quick reference graphic. See a healthcare provider to get any missing vaccinations. Remember, there's a new flu vaccine requirement.
  2. Read the instructions here. They will explain how to use Health e-Messenger to give us your data. 
  3. Enter your data on Health e-Messenger in the MEDICAL CLEARANCES section. Unfortunately, we can't accept your records through email, fax, etc. Always use Health e-Messenger. It's secure!
  4. Check your compliance status 24 hours after you send us your data. If you have questions, use Health e-Messenger (not email or phone) to contact us securely. 
  5. Prefer to watch videos? The videos below show you how to meet the requirements and how to contact us with questions.

How much do the vaccines cost?

Most insurance plans, including UC SHIP, pay 100% for vaccination costs. If you choose to do a blood test (titer) to prove your immunity, you might have to pay part of the cost. The Student Health Center does not bill other insurance providers.

All students (including those with UC SHIP) can get mandatory and non-mandatory vaccines at Safeway, Walgreens, or Rite-aid. Be sure to upload your documentation after you get vaccinated.

Important note about off-campus vaccine costs: If you're referred to a a CVS minute clinic then you need to schedule an appointment to get a referral from the SHC before you seek services at the CVS Minute Clinic.  

Where do I find my immunization records?

  • Flu vaccinations: Flu vaccines are only valid if you received them after August 1, 2020. A vacine from an earlier date won't meet the requirement. Get your record from your healthcare provider. If you received your vaccine at the Student Health Center, you don’t need to upload anything. 
  • All other required vaccinations: Click the image below for an example.

 Click here to see example of how to find your immunization records

What if I don't have access to my immunization records?

If you think you’ve been vaccinated but don’t have records, you can get titers to determine your immunity. The test results will show if you are immune to specific diseases. Ask your healthcare provider about titers before you come to campus. The Student Health Center can do titers for students who can't access them before school starts. 

What if required vaccines aren't available in my country?

If you will remain outside the United States for the quarter and can’t get your required vaccinations, you will not get an enrollment hold.

How can I get a TB screening for an internship, volunteer position, or work-study job?

These situations have a special process. Don't use the process mentioned above for new students trying to meet mandatory TB requirements. Here's what to do instead:

  • If you have UC SHIP, a TB blood test is 100% covered. Use Health e-Messenger to request a TB screening from the Student Health Center. Log into Health e-Messenger ( with your Gold password. Select Messages, then New Messagethen TB Risk Assessment for Programs, Job requiring TB Clearance, Volunteering. Complete the form and click Send. We will review the form and send follow-up instructions via secure message within two weeks.
  • If you don't have UC SHIP, ask your off-campus provider for a screening. The costs will depend on your insurance plan.

Immunization-Related Enrollment Holds

If you are living or studying on campus and don't meet the UC-required Immunization and Tuberculosis (TB) risk screening requirements, you will receive an enrollment hold.

Here's how to fix your enrollment hold. You'll also see a checklist in your MyUCSC Portal. The checklist has details on how to remove the hold. Learn how to use the checklist here.

If you have questions, contact us through Health e-Messenger. Select Messages, then New Messages, then Immunization - Required Immunizations and TB Risk Screening Questions. Remember that as of Fall Quarter 2020, you need a flu vaccine to avoid an enrollment hold.

Flu Vaccines

Infographic of flu vaccine requirements. Click for PDF version.

As of Fall Quarter 2020, the University of California is requiring influenza vaccine for students, faculty, and staff (including other academic personnel) living, working or learning on campus any time beginning November 1, 2020 and continuing through the end of the flu season.  See the official University of California Executive Order about flu vaccines, and the University of California’s Student FAQs about the flu vaccine requirement for more information.

Why is it so important? The California Department of Public Health urges everyone to get a flu vaccination in an effort to prevent a “twindemic” of COVID-19 and seasonal influenza. Even young and healthy people could be seriously affected by having both COVID-19 and the flu at the same time. 

Are exemptions allowed? Yes, there is a process for faculty, staff, and students to request medical exemptions, or disability and religious accommodations.  

Submit either form through Health e-Messenger. Log into Health e-Messenger with your username and gold password. On the left sidebar, select New Message, click on Medical Records Form Submission. Scan the form, then attach it to your message. Click Send. You can also fax or mail the form to us.

Step One: Check your insurance coverage

UC SHIP: UC SHIP covers the vaccine 100%. Get your vaccine after 9/26 to avoid fees. If you go off-campus for your vaccine, bring your UC SHIP mobile app.

Other Insurance: If you don’t have UC SHIP, a flu vaccination at the Student Health Center costs $25 and will be billed to your student account. Check with your insurance company about fees, reimbursement policies, and restrictions on where you can get your vaccine. 


Step Two: Get your flu vaccine

Options include:

  • The Student Health Center. Schedule your appointment on Health e-Messenger. Go to Appointments, follow the prompts, and select Immunizations. Enter the date you want and click Search for Appointments. Flu vaccine appointments are usually available Monday-Friday. 
  • A private healthcare provider's office.
  • A local retail pharmacy
  • Another UC’s Student Health Center. Contact them first to find out about appointment times and vaccine availability.

International students: If you have a problem getting your vaccine during the correct time period, log into with your gold password, then choose Messages, New Messages, then Immunization - Required Immunizations and TB Risk Screening Questions. Let us know about your situation and we will work with you.

Step Three: Upload your flu vaccine record to Health e-Messenger

This is required only if you got your vaccine off-campus. Make sure you remember to get your vaccine and upload the documentation by November 1, 2020, to avoid an enrollment hold. 

  • Get your record from your healthcare provider. Make sure the vaccine was administered after August 1, 2020.
  • Log into Health e-Messenger using your Cruz ID and gold password.
  • Go to Medical Clearances.
  • Find Influenza and select the green Update button.
  • Enter the date of your vaccine and the type of flu vaccine.
  • Go to back to Medical Clearances and select Immunization Record. Select the green Update button to upload a copy of your immunization record.
  • Upload a copy of your flu vaccine record.


Other Optional Immunizations

The Student Health Center offers several non-required vaccinations:
  • Human Papillomavirus or "HPV" (Gardasil)
  • Hepatitis A, Hepatitis B, and Hepatitis A/Hepatitis B combination vaccine (Twinrix)
  • Japanese Encephalitis (Ixiaro)
  • Meningococcal vaccines, including Meningococcal Group B (Bexsero). We strongly recommend Meningococcal Group B vaccinations for all students due to the severity of the disease.
  • Pneumococcal vaccines, including Pneumovax (PPSV23)
  • Polio
  • Rabies
  • Tetanus and diphtheria toxoid (TD)
  • Typhoid (Typhim Vi)

Call our Appointment Line at 831-459-2500 to schedule any of these optional vaccinations. 

Travel Immunizations

We offer immmunizations for students who are traveling internationally. See our Travel Immunization page for more details.